Friday, July 8, 2022

Pastor's Life: Energy, Imagination, Intelligence and Love

Energy, Imagination, Intelligence and Love
by Rev. Rebecca Mallozzi

In the beginning, God created the heavens and the earth. -Genesis 1:1

When we take on an ordained position in the church, we take a vow to "pray for and seek to serve the people with energy, intelligence, imagination, and love." I must confess as summer approaches, I find myself still full of love and (most days) capable of intelligence. It’s my energy and imagination I find need more attention.

Knowing this, I made a decision this summer to take what I’m calling "a sabbatical for the creative." My goal is to watch things, read things, listen to things, and experience things that both teach me about and experience creativity.

For some reason I was hoping this journey would be inspiring; I don’t know why I didn’t expect it to be fun, but I am actually having fun with it. I attended a virtual workshop on maintaining your creative spark with quilter and fabric designer Anna Maria Horner, who suggested maintaining your creative spark by making sure to do creative things that have absolutely nothing to do with your source of income. Then I went to a free art talk at my local library with a performance artist who worked on a painting of Eartha Kitt as Cat Woman while we watched in awe. He said there’s no such thing as a creative rut; it just means we aren’t challenging ourselves enough.

Rev. Rebecca (Becki) Mallozzi serves as pastor at Faith Church in Emmaus, Pa. She graduated from Waynesburg College (Pennsylvania) with her Bachelor of Arts in English and Communication and worked as a newspaper reporter before starting seminary. She graduated with her Masters of Divinity from Princeton Theological Seminary.

Featured Resources

July Lectionary Preview

Rev. Ivan Herman provides the July lectionary preview where he discusses how stewardship is rooted in gratitude.

Church Financial Leadership Grants

The Church Financial Leadership Grants to assist pastors and their stewardship teams in going to Stewardship Kaleidoscope are available.

Facebook
Follow us on Twitter
Follow us on Instagram
Join our group on LinkedIn
Privacy Policy|
Presbyterian Foundation
200 E 12th Street, Jeffersonville, IN 47130

No comments:

Post a Comment