Tuesday, March 19, 2024

Celebrations with a storyteller

RNS has been home to storytellers from many backgrounds since our founding 90 years ago. We thank you, our readers and subscribers, for building this rich community with us. 

With the Hindu celebration of Holi approaching, we’re sharing insights from RNS journalist Richa Karmarkar on how stories have impacted her life.
Becoming a storyteller

“I have been a daydreamer for as long as I can remember. As a child, I would catch myself dreaming about the people I saw around me, creating imaginary stories for strangers at the airport, in the grocery store, or in cars passing by. I thought of how each person I saw would have their own dreams, their own goals, and their own stories, just like my own. As I grew older, my daydreams influenced my curiosity: I became passionate about understanding the unique beliefs and mindsets of individuals of all ages and walks of life. I knew that becoming a journalist would satisfy my craving for hearing the real stories behind the billions of faces.” 

The gift of storytelling 

“It is a blessing to live in an age where people are reachable through geographical and cultural differences. In my work as a religion journalist especially, I have the privilege of hearing some of the most intimate beliefs of the people I talk to. Being a storyteller has undoubtedly expanded my view of the world, and I am grateful every day to see the world through others’ eyes.”

Looking back and celebrating Holi

“I often think about the times my first-generation immigrant parents spent celebrating Holi in India before they moved to the United States. Back when Hindu Indians were much smaller in population in this country, immigrants like my parents still made it a point to bring the fullness of their religious culture with them when they came here. I am grateful to this first generation of immigrants for their efforts to carry their heritage through to their children and their children’s children. I am reminded of the Hindu belief, Vasudhaiva Kutumbakam: the world is one family. Whether you are Hindu, Indian, or neither, Holi is a time for love, nature, and colors: facets of life that are not bound by any one culture.”

Please join us over the coming weeks in continuing to fund the RNS team as we share crucial and fearless journalism. Your generosity is deeply appreciated and will enhance the voices of storytellers all around the world. 
I’m ready to make a donation today!
Facebook
Twitter
Instagram
YouTube
Copyright © 2023 RNS • Religion News Service, All rights reserved.

No comments:

Post a Comment