Tuesday, June 16, 2020

Old Stories for Young Ears – The Story of a Proud People

Noah's great-grandson, Nimrod, and the Tower of Babel | Manchester ...

Since I have a little more free time than I’ve had in the past, I’m going to do something I thoroughly enjoy doing. I’m going to tell a few stories intended for children. And since I’m a minister, I believe some of the very best stories are from the Bible. That’s the reason I’ve entitled this series “Old Stories for Young Ears.” During each of these episodes, I’ll share a story that reflects God’s love for us all and some principle that might relate to life. Remember, these are stories with many different applications. I’m not suggesting that my take excludes all others nor that these should be taken as scientific or historical fact. Just like the parables Jesus told, these stories can help us better understand God, ourselves and the world within which we live.

In this particular video, my focus is on Tower of Babel from Genesis 11:1-9, with an emphasis on the pride felt by the people who thought they could be like God. Both the passage and video are below. I hope both you and your children enjoy my retelling of the story and find it meaningful.


Genesis 11:1-9

At first everyone spoke the same language, but after some of them moved from the east[a] and settled in Babylonia, they said:

Let’s build a city with a tower that reaches to the sky! We’ll use hard bricks and tar instead of stone and mortar. We’ll become famous, and we won’t be scattered all over the world.

But when the Lord came down to look at the city and the tower, he said:

These people are working together because they all speak the same language. This is just the beginning. Soon they will be able to do anything they want. Come on! Let’s go down and confuse them by making them speak different languages—then they won’t be able to understand each other.

So the people had to stop building the city, because the Lord confused their language and scattered them all over the earth. That’s how the city of Babel got its name.



No comments:

Post a Comment